14 June 2005

Staff t-shirt.

I just realized that I haven't updated this in about forever, so I'll just post to say that I started my job last Wednesday by meeting staff, all of whom I have come to greatly respect and admire; they're good people doing good work. We actually didn't pick kids up until Sunday, which I'll get to in a moment. We've had 14 hours of class already in the last two days (two of those hours was myself alone with the kids during evening session, which is anarchy but in a fun way). I came up with a great idea for said evening sessions that the students are already enjoying. And this is the first night I've spent at home since Wednesday evening, because I've either been at a dorm hanging out with staff, volunteering to help with a group of kids, or at KCI.

Why KCI, you might be asking? Because I spent nine damn hours there Sunday picking up kids at the airport. I was assigned to drive a group of other teaching assistants over there at noon so that we could all meet the kids at the plane and watch over them until the bus came at 3pm. So we get there at 11:45am and we're rounding up kids and trying to figure out lunch arrangements and desperately wishing for the bus to get there, which it finally did around 4pm. But my day wasn't finished like it should've been, as I was supposed to pick up excess luggage and follow the bus back. There was no luggage, but a couple of kids still hadn't arrived; it turns out that two flights coming in had to be diverted when a monsoon hit Kansas City and we ended up not leaving the airport until about 8:30, and didn't get back to the dorm until 9:45pm. Yeah.

On the plus side I do have the entire layout of KCI airport memorized, considering I drove around the damn thing six times during the course of the day (second lane from the left to 'Return to Terminals'). Parking staff knew me by sight in Terminals A & C, even though I did try to hit different booths on the way out each time; I probably picked up about fourteen parking slip things all totaled.

But we got every student that came into the airport, and that's no small feat since apparently a kid got left behind at the airport both terms last summer, so in short: Keith, James, and I rock. I still haven't gotten my gold star, but Lee (my instructor for Politics & Economics, who also rocks) did take us out for pints last night to celebrate the first day of class. Yay for instructional staff and our "academic planning"!

Alright, I'm currently reading A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (at Michelle's request; I'm trusting her judgment on everything so far and it is sooooo paying off. She rocks too.) So I'm gonna do some reading on that, then go to bed for a full night of sleep before possibly running at 6am. Cause I'm all about breakfast in the dorm cafeteria at 7:30am. Oh hell yes.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.