23 September 2005

This does not bode well.

Three times in the last five hours I've tried to go to sleep, and the one time I succeeded I was promptly called by a fundraiser from the Kansas Order of Police, or what the hell ever. Why was I trying to sleep at 5pm? Because tonight is my first eight-hour, 11pm-7am security shift at Oliver. So here's to becoming a zombie by sunrise. It won't be the first time I've gone 24 hours without sleep; the most recent occasion was a date in KC with a girl whom I stayed up with until 6am, watching three movies and drinking chai as the snow fell.

Aside from work this morning and aborted attempts at sleeping this evening, the rest of the day was rather spectacular. My good (and longest-active) friend, Lori, came in from Hays, as her boyfriend was attending a conference in our fair town. We met up at 11am and went downtown, where we walked around to build up an appetite (and where I ran into Mily on her way to class) before I introduced her to the glorious bounty of Free State. We then went to Borders and looked around, before going to a design shop on 8th St. where I found a most amazing cafĂ©; it's on the site of the Nova Cyber Cafe, but I'm sure it has a new name (I just don't remember) and it serves food, much of which sounded so very good. I'm going to try to make it there for breakfast this weekend; maybe tomorrow morning after I get off work and do my exercise, unless I'm, you know, actually tired. Afterwards we came to my apartment where I gave her a copy of my Jayhawker, the Annual MMV and we had some of my mom's cookies which she had graciously mailed for me and J&M–oatmeal raisin and peanut butter! Lori and I walked across campus to the union where her boyfriend was at, and we talked for a bit before they went onto KC for a weekend of sightseeing; I do hope they make it to everything they want to see.

Me? I get homework and a weekend of diet and exercise to make up for all of the eating out I've done this week; granted it was all in celebration of something or other (such as mi bicicleta which arrived on Monday and which Jeff generously built for me on Wednesday), but that does not make the calories go away any quicker. And yes, I am acutely aware that I should not be worrying about my weight. Hence the title; see you when I'm awake.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.