28 July 2005

Melancholyonthedaybefore.

Duke TiP 2005 ends in a couple of days and I am experiencing a maelstrom of emotions right now. I had no idea what I was getting into at the beginning of June, and now I absolutely do not want this comraderie to end. Having the opportunity to meet and befriend all of these great people is truly one of the best things that has happened to me; for the first time I felt like I was surrounded by a group of highly qualified, totally committed individuals who were all so very very funny and amazing. And we all welcomed each other into this fold, and some occasional hiccups notwithstanding, we sooo made it work.

But most of them will be leaving on Sunday or Monday, after our staff party Saturday night (which unfortunately counteracts with J&M's wedding that night, so I have to miss parts of both). I do have a sense of sadness at opportunities missed this summer: to go out more, to exercise better, to tell a girl (or several of them) the things that I never seem to be able to say.

Last night we had a compliment meeting, where we open the box of compliments and read them aloud for the whole staff to hear. It's supposed to be for small things like 'Good job with dinner duty' or 'You guys rocked with the dance decorations', but I used my compliments for a few people to overarch the entire summer. There is no way I was able to say all I wanted to to these people, and perhaps I never can, but I can state right now that my life will never be the same after this summer and these people, and perhaps all that matters is that they at least know that.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.