19 April 2006

Res publica.

This essay from Michael Tomasky is really really good, but it is worth noting that I wrote a strikingly similar term paper about two and a half years ago called 'On the Death, and Rebirth, of Liberalism.' I'm just sayin'.

And while we're on the subject of a new American politics, these are some great articles from New York magazine (on the shortlist of publications I'd looove to work for in a few months, hint hint) about the prospects of a third party. While I am totally and completely in favor of a Purple Party (despite my devout hatred for that color), I think the only way it happens is for a third party to capture people's attention but still lose because of the first-past-the-post and electoral college structures; then maybe we can get some honest to God discussion about proportional representation in this country.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.