29 March 2005

Extremism in blonde hair.

In a perfect world I could go a lifetime without having to mention Ann Coulter on my blog, but this isn't a perfect world and I know this from the fact that she is getting away with advocating a constitutional crisis. From this morning's LJ World:
Sublimely confident that no one will ever call their bluff, courts are now regularly discovering secret legal provisions requiring abortion and gay marriage and prohibiting public prayer and Ten Commandments displays. Just once, we need an elected official to stand up to a clearly incorrect ruling by a court.
Contrast this to the ever-rational Paul Krugman in the NY Times:

We can't count on restraint from people like Mr. DeLay, who believes that he's on a mission to bring a "biblical worldview" to American politics, and that God brought him a brain-damaged patient to help him with that mission.

What we need - and we aren't seeing - is a firm stand by moderates against religious extremism. Some people ask, with justification, Where are the Democrats? But an even better question is, Where are the doctors fiercely defending their professional integrity? I think the American Medical Association disapproves of politicians who second-guess medical diagnoses based on video images - but the association's statement on the Schiavo case is so timid that it's hard to be sure.

Anyway, she's speaking tonight at the Lied Center. I was asked if I was going, to which I responded that I would sooner make a list of the top five metal implements with which I would gouge out my own eyeballs. In case you're curious, no. 5 is a spatula, and no. 2 is a Ford F-150.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.