16 December 2005

"As long as I got a job, you got a job. Understand?"

RIP John Spencer, 'Leo McGarry' on the West Wing. Perhaps fate deemed that I spend the last two days watching West Wing DVDs for season two, which may have been the greatest season of any television show in history. Not five minutes ago I watched the end of perhaps the most cinematic TV episode ever, 'Two Cathedrals', and I then logged on only to find this tragic news. For those of you familiar with the episode, it ends with a fitting song while McGarry and the rest of the staff watch Bartlet put his hands in his pockets, look away, and smile at the question of whether he would run again for president. John Spencer was the backbone of that show; his acting, personality, and charisma was of a finer calibre than most others in the business and friends, that is indeed saying something.

Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But it’s written in the starlight
And every line on your palm
We’re fools to make war
On our brothers in arms

–Dire Straits, 'Brothers in Arms'

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.