29 October 2005

Journalism, Canadian style.


I've often been both intrigued and impressed with newspapers from the other English-speaking countries, but none more so than Canada. The Toronto Star publishes probably the neatest Sunday paper in the world, while the sheer diversity of the national dailies and their front page treatments is refreshing in a country that practically encourages blandness. Today's Hamilton Spectator is a case in point: I could never see the Kansas City Star or the Dallas Morning News trying something like this.

The last time I saw this type of a front page, it was The Sun in London printing, on the day of England vs. Brazil in the 2002 World Cup: 'This page is cancelled. Nothing else matters.' Well, I think the editors in Hamilton found something that matters more.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.