31 October 2005

Political ninja.

And it's worth noting, while we're on the topic of the Supremes, that Harry Reid, the Senate Minority Leader from Nevada, is fast becoming my favorite politico. While I've previously mentioned my disdain for the Democratic Party itself, and some of the various interests that have strangled it, I still retain a lot of respect for certain Democrats: Eliot Spitzer, attorney general and future governor of New York; Brian Schweitzer, governor of Montana; Barack Obama, Senator and rising star from Illinios; and, as I seemingly betray my indie credentials, Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts, who has made a passionate, lifetime cause out of achieving healthcare and education for those left behind by the machine that is our national economy.

I add Senator Reid to the list because of the masterful way in which he has been playing the game in DC the last few months; his skill as Minority Leader has been below the radar for most of his term, but beginning with the Miers nomination he has shown the Republican Party his true face. Reid suggested Miers to President Bush, and on the day of the nomination came out and spoke highly of her. Then, he sat back and watched as the conservative movement began to tear itself apart over this 'stealth' candidate for the high court. When the nomination went down in flames last week, Reid was able to stand up and ask that if Miers couldn't satisfy the radical wing of the GOP, then what? Through his devotion to the Senate's role to advise and consent–meaning that he has regularly sought to work with the president on nominations of this sort–Reid has provided plenty of cover for the Democrats and the moderate Republicans to safeguard the Supreme Court. It is political jiujitsu, the way it's supposed to be done. I think Reid should wear a Batman costume tonight.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.