29 March 2006

'I don't have even a blanket.'

I just came back from watching Invisible Children about the orphans and otherwise abducted children of the seventeen year civil war in Uganda. The words don't exist to describe the impact of this film, because words cannot do justice to the inhuman conditions experienced every damn day in a continent that the richest country in the world could care less about. It was indeed most heartening at the end to see the projects and events being organized to help, but though I wanted to feel hope, I found it very difficult.

Africa is a ticking timebomb; we talk about the millions dying of AIDS or malnurished from famine or abducted by warlords, but those are numbers simply for today. What happens in ten, or twenty, or even thirty years when Africa needs workers? What about those fortunate enough to live, finding that there is no economy for them? We may well witness the disappearence of a continent within our lifetimes. So much for the 21st century.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.