08 March 2006

Revue.

Every other week out of the year, I make fun of the fraternities and sororities. In my circle of friends, that's what we do. We decry the conformity and perpetuate the stereotypes and make a grand ole time of it. But for one week, I can't. This is that week.

I just spent the past 3.5 hours at the Lied Center for the dress rehersal of the Rock Chalk Revue, our annual variety show. Ten frats and sororities paired up to put on five plays; the proceeds from the show go to the United Way. Last year I was introduced to RCR when my friend Lauren and some of her friends were involved in the show, and when I went to watch on opening night, I was hooked. The time and energy that all of these students put into the show (it takes all year to put together and rehearse a 20min. original play); the closeness of the performers; the pressure to put on three consecutive performances was all incredible. Call me a softy, but I can't help it; I was never part of something like that, and to watch it up close is rather special to me.

Which is why I take my photography at RCR seriously, knowing that I'm one of the few people allowed to take photos during the event (and that's just during the rehearsal; the other nights I can only take pictures backstage and during the awards on Saturday night). It makes me step up my game because I know I have only one shot at getting the perfect photo, and when I miss, and I certainly did miss quite a few times tonight, I get that much more frustrated. I know most of the performers will probably never see my work, but their moments are ours, and I can't let them slip away.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.