26 June 2006

Chip Kidd. Even just the name is bad-ass.

"My problem with Andy Worhol is that this guy takes the fucking Campbell's soupcan or Brillo pad box, exactly, with every single detail the same, and just because he makes it Art with a capital 'a' can make a million fucking dollars and not give a cent to the guy who fucking made the soup can or box in the first fucking place. I mean, Jesus, think of the son of a bitch at Brillo, fucking Brillo, who designed the box and dies, penniless, in his unheated attic apartment!"

"I don't do much lawyering for my books. I go up to the editor in chief and show it to him. If I say 'You should like this, here's why' then I just sound like an asshole. And I can't stand next to the table in the store and tell those people why they should like it. It has to stand on its own legs."

"Jackets do not sell books. Bookstores sell books. Jackets, hopefully, get your attention for long enough to make you pick it up. After that, the jacket has to stand aside to the book and the author inside."

"My teacher said 'You have to eat the world with your eyes.' In New York, your eyes are burping all the time."

"Being Japanese, I think they're just too polite to reject anything I design."

"Either show or tell. To do both is treat the audience like they are fucking idiots."

"The lady said she was developing graphic novels to target the 12-16 year old girl market. Art Spiegelman responded 'I try not to think of my audience as targets to shoot at.' I agree with him totally."

"Whether you should go to grad school for design is based on natural talent. If you have the time and ability to learn it on your own, to study others, and to develop your own visual language, then fuck school. The most essential thing is to learn what's been done, and why it's been done."

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.