08 August 2006

No need to bring physics into this.

Tonight on the phone:

Lee: So I figured out how we're going to make our money Ryan.
Ryan: Shoot.
Lee: It's not going to be a publishing house. We're going to get some 'go-fast boats' and smuggle people from Albania into Italy.
Ryan: I love it!
Lee: Seriously, the best part of that movie was having these trained professionals refer to them as 'go-fast boats.'
Ryan: Every weapon and vehicle has its own technical name or acronym, but we're just going to name the boats by a general term for speed.

Ryan: I was just watching a special on the weapons of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and they were showcasing this new bomb. Now it's 1,000 pounds, but it splits into ten–
Lee: Wait wait! Did they call it the 'go-boom bomb'!?
Ryan: You just made the rest of my story irrelevant.

Ryan: You like your new apartment?
Lee: I do. Not all of my furniture fits, so my breakfast bar is also my desk.
Ryan: Nice.
Lee: I have a sink, and next to that is the microwave, and behind that is my printer!
Ryan: That's efficiency.
Lee: I just have to make sure I'm not microwaving and printing at the same time, which was always a concern before.

Ryan: Did I send you the link to the top five things to do with your MacBook?
Lee: Let me guess, the top one was cook a steak?
Ryan: This guy turned his MacBook over, put some foil down on the battery, and cooked an egg!
Lee: Wow!
Ryan: He might have done some hash browns too, but I'm not sure.
Lee: See, it's the best machine in the world. Not only can you connect to the internet, you can make breakfast!
Ryan: So when you said your breakfast bar was your desk, I thought "Hey, Lee's on top of that!"

Lee: But it should be a nice quiet place to learn to love the law.
Ryan: But you're not just going to be learning the law, Lee. You will be the law. And I apparently just turned you into Judge Dredd.
Lee: Hey, another Stallone reference.
Ryan: That movie is going to be the end of me.
Lee: "To beat this guy you need speed. You ain't got it. You have calcium deposits on most of your joints, so sparring is out. We're gonna rely on blunt force trauma!" That's just incredible.
Ryan: Because any sane trainer would've just stopped at the first statement. "To beat this guy you need speed. You ain't got it. So, um, thanks for coming in!"
Lee: That pretty much takes care of it!
Ryan: "And if you want to know where I'm going with this next, two words: calcium deposits. Think about that, while I go get a sandwich."
Lee: *laughing* Oh god.

Lee: I also loved how they were looking at the two boats coming in on satellite feed, and immediately knew who it was that was behind the shipment because they were using 'go-fast boats.' Because the guy obviously wasn't stupid enough to use the 'go-slow boats'!
Ryan: In a pinch he would use the 'go-reasonably speed boats.'
Lee: *laughs*
Ryan: And they were talking about the skill involved with driving these boats to make them show up as one on the radar, but I'm sitting there like "But you're watching the two boats on the screen!"
Lee: The satellite imagery kinda takes care of that! And the thing with the plane, making the one go up so that it gets the same radar signature, and the guy in the tower just looks at the plane, on a vector from Columbia, disappearing and says "Oh, it's just a ghost!" and walks away.
Ryan: They told the second plane to check the airspace to his right and look for them, and the guy glances out his window and says there's nothing there. I would be like "Hey, there's nothing else within 100 miles of you, how about you actually lean over and take a look?"
Lee: "I mean, it's only another airplane literally on your wing."
Ryan: "It's not like it would cause turbulence or anything due to the airflow from the plane being right below or on top to you."
Lee: "I've studied Bernoulli's effect. I know the physics behind this, but hey, don't worry about THAT."

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.