23 April 2006

Mr. Scarrow.

Yesterday while at the house in Humboldt, on the phone:

NRA Lackey: Mr. Scarrow?
Me: Um, yes?
NRA: I'd like to thank you for your past support of the National Rifle Association!
Me: ...
NRA: Now sir, how would you feel if the UN came into your home and took your guns away?
Me: Um, that would never happen.
NRA: Cause you wouldn't let it happen!
Me: No, because I study politics six hours a day and it's impossible.
NRA: Now, England and Australia strengthened their gun laws and their crime rates skyrocketed.
Me: Yeah, that's not true and you know it. Besides, the UN thing is a ridiculous assertion.
NRA: You don't think an amendment could get passed that would take away our gun rights?
Me: Well it takes 2/3rds of the states and 3/4th of Congress to amend, so, no I don't. Besides, organizations like the NRA routinely ignore the first part of the 2nd Amendment about the 'well-regulated militia.'
NRA: You don't think gun rights is an important point?
Me: Not when you're making ridiculous assertions just to raise money and send extremists to Congress. How about gun safety? Where is the NRA in pushing gun manufacturers to research DNA palm readers that would allow only those who own the gun to shoot the gun? Where are the trigger locks?
NRA: Now sir, I don't fully agree with all of the positions of the NRA either. But my gun rights are important to me.
Me: And I understand that. I'm just saying that the UN can't do the things they're supposed to do, let alone take away the guns of American citizens, so it's patently absurd to suggest otherwise.
NRA: Well sir, thank you for your time and you have a good day.
Me: Good day!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.