22 April 2005

Hell is being single and not knowing why.

Bear with me, as I still have quite a bit of beer in me. But I'm a little confused right now. I've spent my entire adult life trying to figure out just what the secret is to letting a girl know that I dig her and that she should dig me too. When I was in high school it was easy to dismiss all of the girls because they went for the assholes and I could convince myself that it would be better in college. Then I go to community college and after similar results I was like 'Oh it'll be better at KU.' And now I've been at KU for almost two years and it's still so disquieting to know that there are all of these great girls around and yet I cannot for the love of everything holy seem to let them know just how great I think they are. Maybe I'm just too socially awkward, maybe I try too hard, hell maybe I don't try hard enough, but for some reason when I get into certain situations I freeze, and I don't know whether to go forward or back away, and I usually end up getting it completely wrong. Like tonight, at Louise's, I continued to muck things up. Two years in Lawrence and I still feel almost like somebody who doesn't belong out in the bar scene, or maybe any other scene for that matter. I'm going to sleep now.

Then I thought of her walking up the street and stepping into the car, as I had last seen her, and of course in a little while I felt like hell again. It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing.
~Ernest Hemingway, ‘The Sun Also Rises’

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.