20 April 2005

Restricted.

Now, far be it from me to pass judgement on other schools let alone other religious denominations. What people choose really should be none of my affair. But, this list of regulations as far as what students are allowed to bring and do while attending Bob Jones University is a straight-up wack job. I mean the meeting every night to pray is certainly understandable, but then you get into the bottom part of the list.

Posters of movie and music stars and fashion models are not permitted. The subjects of personal photos should exhibit the modesty and appropriate physical contact we expect from our students.

Residence hall students may not watch videos above a G rating when visiting homes in town and may not attend movie theaters.

Let's get one thing straight here: though pop culture is indeed crap, it is not debilitating to the body, mind or soul. We're talking about 18-20 year olds who are probably already socially repressed, and now they're being even more sheltered from the world when they should be engaging it. I just don't see how outright abolition of movies, music, computer games, etc., does anything to help these students.

Which is why I ultimately left my church. I said I wanted to read other books, and one of my peers held up a Bible and said "But this is the only one you need." They simply could not believe it when I responded to their questions about my beliefs with "I don't know." But none of them could ever answer my question: If you believe so much in Jesus, if your faith is so strong and sure, then why are you afraid?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.