08 July 2006

The problem with this city.

I've only been here for three weeks, but I think I've got this one nailed down: too many restaurants. Seriously, when any given block in this city has, by my estimate, approximately 15,000 places to get food, then where am I supposed to eat?

I woke up this morning with a renewed drive to turn this into Ultimate New York Weekend. I should've stuck with Friday. I went out to get a croissant and an orange juice, then walked across Morningside Park (which is really very cool) to the C train at 116th, which I took down to 23rd, in Chelsea. I wanted to go to the Center for Book Arts and look at their exhibits, but I went west when I should've gone east. Forty minutes later I entered the CBA, and walked out within five minutes, thoroughly disappointed with their concept of a 'book.' Going back to 7th Ave., I got on the 1 train at 28th to Times Square, then transfered to the N and took it to Lexington and 59th. I thought I could salvage the morning by stopping by Serendipity, where Tiffany had told me about the frozen hot chocolate. Unfortunately, you can't get it to go, and the waiting list was stretched out to the street. Trying to remain undaunted, I pressed on towards my ultimate goal for the day: the United Nations headquarters. I entered the main building and realized that MoMA has more of a security presence than the UN (and maybe there's a good reason for that). Deciding against a guided tour, I bopped around the gift and book shoppes before leaving to come back to 53rd so that I could at least have the option of going back through MoMA to see the floors that I didn't look at last night. I was getting very tired, as I was in my tenth hour of exploring New York City in the last 24 hours, and, after realizing that the Museum of Arts and Design across the street was primarily furniture and interior design, decided to scrap my Ultimate Weekend. I went back to 49th and Broadway, caught the 1 back up to 110th where I got out and tried to pick one place to finally eat some lunch; had to settle for a slice of cheese pizza that I could bring back to the dorm with me.

I'm going to rest and watch Germany:Portugal this afternoon, and then decide if I should go for a run tonight or tomorrow morning. With all of the walking I've done, I'm content to wait until tomorrow; I'm not planning on much this evening anyway. New York, you won this round.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.