10 February 2006

Of all the times I wish I had HDTV.

I'm not quite sure it was the best opening ceremony I've ever seen, but it was definitely the most beautiful. Stadio Olimpico looked absolutely stunning from every which way; the dove and the ski jumper were about the most original artistic portions I've ever seen in an OC; Pavarotti deserved to be in the largest opera house ever; and the lighting of the cauldron was neat and imaginative (if solely because the only other way to light it would've been by helicopter). The disco music during the parade of the athletes was definitely inspired, though it ranks behind Athens bringing in DJ Tiƫsto for a live house rave. And if there are more women over there who look like Carla Bruni, then Fabrica or no Fabrica, I'm making my way to Italy when I'm all said and done here in Lawrence.

Now for the minuses: STFU Brian Williams. You damn near ruined my seventh opening ceremony; if you're around for an eighth, I will cut you. NBC has a habit of splicing out lots of stuff to make room for the seven million hours of face time they have to give to Kwan, Bode, Chad, and Tomato Guy; they edited the hell out of Athens in 2004. And last but not least, somebody give Bob Costas an enema. Man's gone downhill since Barcelona in '92; maybe he's still suffering Dick Enberg withdrawals.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.