13 February 2006

You can keep your basketball.

And your football, and your baseball, and your what the hell ever. I just watched the most amazing display of athletic courage and fortitude in my life. Zhang Dan bashes her knees on the ice, hits the boards, and still manages to skate well enough to win a silver medal, but I'm sure that was the last thing on their minds during the remaining four minutes of their free skate. They attempted what had never been done (and I mean never; Inoue and Baldwin hit a throw triple axel before they came to the Olympics, so they were just here for the record), chose to complete what they stepped onto the ice to do, and I'll be damned if I wasn't a babbling idiot by the end. God I love this stuff.

ETA: A commenter in the TWoP 2006 Winter Games forum (no, my TV time doesn't reflect all of the time I spend on Olympic related materiel each day, which is sad in itself) said "How incredible is it that all 3 medal-winning pairs have had major injury within the past year and a half, 2 of them on ice? That speaks to the toughness of these athletes." Indeed.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.