09 February 2006

On reviewing a movie when he should be sleeping.

So I realize I'm a little late with this, but Cidade de Deus (City of God) might be about the most amazing feature film I've ever seen. It didn't take my breath away like Diarios de motocicleta (The Motorcycle Diaries), but I set that standard pretty high when I walked out of Liberty Hall, turned to Tom, and said 'That's the greatest movie I'll ever watch.' Greatest, most amazing: there's a fine line there, even if only I can see it.

City of God was just flawless in its execution, in every way including the innovative flashbacks to tell the story (normally they can bog down, but the piecing together was fabulous). The acting, the cinematography, even the typography (nerd!) used for the chapter headings were all inspired. Well done indeed.

Alright, now it's off to bed. Almost fourteen hours until the opening ceremonies start in Torino! (Nineteen hours until the broadcast; damn NBC.) If you need me, you can find me in 17 days.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.