21 June 2006

New York's Finest.

I saw my first two NYPD blue tonight. They happened to be standing at the corner of 108th and Broadway as I was jaywalking across.

Today was a good day, a transitional day of sorts. Today I started really paying attention to what is truly possible in publishing, and how I might get there while also dealing with the knowledge that I can really only do it in New York City. We met with a senior editor this afternoon in small groups to discuss the manuscript that got sent to us a month ago (I found out that mine is indeed being published, but it has an amazing, yet still probably embargoed story). Then we listened to a panel of all of the editors, then had 'Sherry Hour' of wine and crackers while gathered around the editor who most piqued our fancy. Then a short dinner led into another panel, this one of recent CPC alumni who are now working as editorial assistants all over NYC. Their advice – "Don't worry! The job will come! And living in NYC is do-able! Even though I had to live in a Days Inn for two weeks while finding an apartment! But you'll get it, and you'll find out your spending priorities quickly!'

I have no problem subsisting on a life of cereal in New York City: I've done it for five years now anyway, not because of money, but because I freaking like cereal that much. I can go without cable or even a TV, I don't drink Starbucks anyway, I don't wear Diesel jeans, and living in a small room with flatmates is not beyond my capabilities. As long as I have occasional access to the internet (outside of work) and a gym membership, I'm good. I'm taken care of, because most of my time will and must be spent on my career. The next two or three years of my life determines whether I can make this work: if I can't design, I'll know it soon enough. But I'm not going to crash out because I can't afford to live here. Could I make a living somewhere else? Possibly. But then we get into the meaning of 'living', and I'm not up for that tonight.

Anyway, I'm excited for the weekend. Tomorrow morning I'm getting up early and running in Riverside Park. I'm going to buy Chip Kidd's book (along with some Columbia t-shirts) and spend tomorrow night reading that and doing homework. Friday we have the evening off, so I'll probably go out with classmates. Saturday and Sunday we're on our own for meals, which was my rationale for taking a quick stroll on Broadway tonight, to see what little markets and bistros are there (and there are plenty, believe me). One of those days I want to go downtown to Chelsea or the Village and get lost for a few hours. I'll save Central Park for another weekend.

It's 10:21pm here and I'm listening to the sounds of New York. I'm ready for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.