13 June 2006

On picking the USA to advance out of group play.

Surely by now you've heard. And yes, I did pick our boys to place second in the group-both times. But I want to make it very clear that it was not out of jingoism or because I picked up the Landon-graced cover of SI. It was simply and solely because I thought that if any manager in the World Cup could get past all of the crap that this team has had to deal with, it would be Bruce Arena. He has been the mastermind behind the US surge of the past decade, and I felt sure that he would prepare these players, some of whom play internationally while the others toil in MLS, for the rigors of the Group of Death. But as in any sport, the coach can only do so much; the blame for yesterday's game clearly rests on the players who allowed the Czechs to get in deep, and get in fast. I knew if the USA was to have any chance at advancing, they'd have to get at least a draw (and a precious point) out of this game; after watching Italy:Ghana yesterday, I think it might well be a tall order to not go 0-3-0.

Oh well, they say that you should root for your home team and then have a stand-by in case; I pick the Dutch. I can't say as to why, but when we're talking about a nation known internationally for sex, pot and dykes, do you really need a reason?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.