20 May 2005

Überpost. (Or: How I learned to stop dawdling and update this damn thing.)

So I'm graduating in about a day and a half. I finished up my papers (Korean history final and Seminar thesis) and handed them in Tuesday morning, two days before deadline, to get them out of the way. Then I just slacked around and read until my one and only final, Wednesday night, for Western Civ 2, which I had no doubts about. Since then I've just been doing a lot of napping in this damn heat, mainly because I'm too proud to give in and turn on the air conditioner; I figure if I've made it this far, than surely I can last through the weekend until the 70s hit again. But I doubt my mom and sister will like my no AC policy.

And for those just tuning in, my family has decided to convert my one-bedroom apt. into a hotel of sorts. My parents will be kicking me out of my bed for Sat. and Sun. nights, while my sister will be residing as well on Saturday night. I've already said my share about this to parties concerned; apparently I'm like Brazil or India in the United Nations: despite my vested interests and involvement, I'm denied the veto. Or something like that.

I broke down twice today and bought things that I honestly should've waited or let other people buy for me. The Design of Dissent was just sitting there at Borders, taunting me and destroying every reason I could think of not to buy it; alas, the appeal was too great (that and the 25% coupon and 10% total purchase discount I was banking on for the trip to Borders). Also at Borders I got a Moleskine sketchbook and the new Paste magazine, which includes a sampler CD. On said sampler was another track from the new Decemberists album, Picaresque. I already had a couple other songs from it, but this one was the straw that stirred the drink, as I went ahead and bought the whole thing through iTunes Music Store. The words 'magnificent,' 'mystical,' and 'sublime' do not even begin to do this album justice. If I could I would reprint the lyrics, in their entirety, in next year's Jayhawker. Who the hell cares if they're not students and the songs have nothing to do with KU? Everyone should know these words.

Went to apparently one of the oldest KU traditions tonight: the All University Dinner. One of the few on-campus events where alcohol is allowed to be served (red and white wine in funky milk-type bottles, hee!), it is the scene for the Chancellor's annual State of the University speech and the conferring of KU's highest honors, the Distinguished Service Citation. I'll forever know it as the night that somebody managed to fuck up a perfectly good piece of steak, the bastards (who the hell puts a cheese/butter sauce, mixed with lobster, on a steak? Honestly).

So I'm really not emotional about graduation, at least I wasn't until we started singing the Alma Mater at the end of the dinner, and I thought about how that caps off the ceremony proper on Sunday, the ceremony that I decided to go ahead and skip; just Walk down the Hill with everybody else, finally go through the Campanile, and then head out with the family in search of a good Chinese food buffet. But now I'm starting to lean again towards the ceremony, even though I could easily save my cap & gown and go to the ceremony next year when I don't have to worry about my parents hanging out in the damn heat. This is still up in the air.

So this was a rather nice year for me on the women-front; had a couple of firsts (into what categories those fall, I will not state here), met lots of great girls and had some promising situations, all of which I have impressively managed to muck up in one way or another. Not that I know exactly what happened, mind you; one told me she didn't want to date anymore and another said she didn't want a relationship after all. Which is fine really; it's just the lack of understanding about those things that keep a guy awake at 2am in the occasional morning. Anyway, I'm trying to push on and get to know some other girls a bit more, not to badger them into going out with me but just hopefully form some sort of connection there that they can see me and all of my wonderfulness™, but still keep from falling into the 'I like you as a friend' trap [I have this shirt by the way, and it's verrry pink] so that maybe, potentially something more can bloom. I'm probably failing at this as well; my biggest fear is seeming toooo interested and pestering, which then leads me to go to the other extreme of not going for it at the time or place that I should. I hear that there is this word called 'woo'; I should find whoever came up with it and bash him over the head. Not that I'm frustrated or anything, of course.

So I don't know what the point is to any of this, and there are many many things that I'm leaving out, such as the first two completed books on my summer reading list, but it's getting late and I'm hot and I'll probably wake up tomorrow and decide to redact a lot of the above paragraph. But if I did, I'd probably redact that I was redacting, and thus you would never know. Unless you saw the redaction before it was redacted. You know what man, fuck this; I'm out.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.