13 May 2005

What wonderful noise.

The Guardian does a most proper tribute to the song that singlehandedly changed my life and introduced me to rock & roll.

"How does it feel?" doesn't come out of his mouth; the words explode in it. And here you understand what Dylan meant when he said, in 1966, speaking of the pages of noise he'd scribbled: "I had never thought of it as a song, until one day I was at the piano, and on the paper it was singing, 'How does it feel?'" Dylan may sing the verses; the chorus sings him.

"When I heard Like a Rolling Stone," said Frank Zappa, in 1965 a 24-year-old Los Angeles satirist, "I wanted to quit the music business because I felt: 'If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else.'"

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.