19 September 2006

Gotta save up for the podcast.

Tonight, on the phone:

Lee: I had this baseball game last night, and the home team was down 12-5 in the last inning and I was thinking 'Okay, I'll make it home soon.' Damn team scores eight runs in the bottom of the inning to come back and win. It took thirty minutes!
Ryan: I understand that it is baseball, but it's one of things where you're like 'Now, softball has some rules on this. I'm just spitballing here, but maybe time limits and run rules aren't a bad thing.'
Lee: Hey, I'm the umpire, I'll do whatever I want!
Ryan: You can if you're in the Pac-10.

Lee: The one Teach for America story I have is the only one that matters. I understand that's a big statement but this is incredible. I worked with this girl a couple years ago in TIP who was going on to get her Masters at the Yale School of Forestry – by the way, spend a moment thinking about that one – but she did Teach for America in rural New York. She was homeless. She spent two months living in her car because they didn't pay her enough to both eat and have housing. She ended up having to live on a commune with hippies for the last few months.
Ryan: I've got to share that story. Because I'm a journalist, and I'm all about giving my friends all sides to the story. It has nothing to do with bias about said friends possibly choosing a shitty career. A commune is not a step up from homelessness.
Lee: When you live on a commune, you lose. Period.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.