18 September 2006

What the hell else bad can happen?

So this morning my car got towed away to the radiator shop with no problems. And I rode my bike to work with no problems. When I got there, my laptop was waiting for me, thanks to an early visit by FedEx. Excited about this, I got a call from the shop saying that there was significant damage that had been done to the radiator supports when I was in a little fender bender of this past May, so much so that they were able to take the radiator out, but couldn't put one back in. This would require body work in addition to fixing the actual coolant system itself, but they would need another body shop to come in and make an estimate. Resigned at this, I went on to my laptop. I started it up and it worked fine. I charged the battery to full strength while working on updating my resumé so I can start applying for jobs. Then I shut it off at lunch after figuring out how to make a podcast.

At the end of the work day, or 40 min. ago, I called the radiator shop to see what they found out about the estimate. It turns out nobody ever came by today, but they hope to make progress tomorrow. I rode home, laptop in its place of honor in my new Nike messenger bag, and after giving my parents an update on the car, proceeded to start the MacBook up again.

But now instead of a monochrome screen of death when I try to start it, I get a multicolored screen of death. It's doing the exact same problem as it was nearly three weeks ago when I took it in the Apple Store for a second time, and after getting the exact same part replaced again. So I called the Apple Store to explain the situation, and they're going to call me back in the morning to discuss the 'fastest way to resolve the issue.' I got an idea: send me a new fucking laptop and pay for my hard drive to be recovered and transfered to the new one. The guy told me "We can't do anything until morning, so don't worry about it tonight, sir." I wanted to say "Listen, asshole, my mom is the only one who can tell me not to worry about anything. How about you worry about the fact that you're all idiots.' I would drop Apple like a bad habit, but to paraphrase Churchill, Apple is the worst computer manufacturer out there, except for all the others.

Eight hours later, and I'm still no closer to a working car or laptop.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.