06 April 2005

Throw away your television.

Throw away your television

Take the noose off your ambition

Reinvent your intuition now

It's a repeat of a story told

It's a repeat and it's getting old

~Red Hot Chili Peppers

So I've been planning for a while to get rid of my cable television service, but only after the West Wing season ends (which just happens to be really freaking early this year). My reasons were partly wishful thinking that it will be one less distraction from studying (hello, Internet) and mostly financial in that it's a lot of freaking money for a service that brings me maybe a few good hours a week (most everything, including the West Wing, is such crap), mostly in the form of Adult Swim and the ever-genius Robot Chicken.

So I was doing well: I was cutting back on the shows I watched so that I wouldn't get too involved, I actually flat-out stopped on my ESPN afternoon shows, and I started making a list of all of the DVDs I want/need to see when I start my Blockbuster Online account at Commencement (I have a couple of research projects before then so we'll just wait a bit). However, just when I thought I was okay, I got into the show of all shows: Iron Chef America. Now I'm a pretty big Food Network fan, but it was unique in that I'm crazy about it, but only when I flip to it; in other words, it's not something I have to watch. But I was always into Iron Chef before and now that Food Network could build their own show rather than rely on dubbing over the Japanese version, I was hooked. Which is bad news because I'm supposed to end my cable TV this week. So now it's crunch time: Robot Chicken & Iron Chef vs. unlimited DVDs per month. It's not easy being me.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I can neither whistle, nor blow bubbles with bubble gum.